Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Tragedy dodged

This is a piece of sound advice from someone who almost screwed up royally:

BACK UP YOUR FILES!!!

This past Monday, I went to pull my jump drive from my pocket and it wasn't there. As panic slowly trickled through my body, I began to realize that more than 30 pages of my thesis (and more than half of my novel) were lost. For two days, my wife and I scoured every inch of our house, our cars and my office to no avail. I retraced my steps and called almost every restaurant I've visited since last Thursday. Then, at 5 p.m. this evening, a co-worker asked if I'd called a restaurant that we visited on Monday.

Guess what. That's where it was!

Thank you, Lord! And thanks to my awesome wife for putting up with a frazzled grad student.

I was ready to throw in the towel and bypass a spring graduation and shoot for the summer. Now, I have a renewed hope to finish this thesis and graduate on May 16.

So please, if you pray, drop one in for me -- that I might stay motivated to complete my thesis, pass my comprehensive exams, graduate and continue writing my novel!!

2 comments:

rslight said...

That is a very harrowing story.

Eric said...

Hey, man: I'm getting pretty slow on posting on this blog. I haven't been writing much on the novel these past few weeks, as I am concentrating on the thesis. I'll get there, though. Thanks for reading. If you'd like to add anything, let me know!